Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Replacement foam / tubing for Guitar Stands

I recently bought a guitar/display stand, from my local music store. I am hanging a special guitar, and I want it to be prominently displayed. They came up with this cool hanger, that mates up to slat-board, which I already have. They weren't using the hanger, anymore, and sold it to me for $40. I am guessing that it would cost at least $75 retail, for a new one. The stand is made by Ingles, who I have never heard of? It is very well built, and uses wing-nuts and a drum key for tightening! The only problem is that the metal hangers are covered with old surgical tubing. We have all seen the stuff I am talking about, amber in color, and this stuff is old, weathered and cracked. It is literally falling off of the stand. Here is what it looked like:

 So I searched all over the web, and eBay etc. looking for a suitable replacement. Well, I had a hard time finding any information, whatsoever, on replacement tubing or foam, whatever. I wanted to upgrade the surgical tubing to some good quality, dense foam, to protect and hold the guitar in place. Through my search, I was able to find a link to this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-hollow-tubing/=o9kdak
Its the product, at the bottom of the page, this one;

Weather-Resistant EPDM Foam
3/4"1/4"±0.039"1/4"4339T6$12.19/6 ft. piece

I ended up buying 3 different products, not knowing which would work, best. The foam, above, was the winner. Let my research and extra cost $$, help you out! The diameter of the metal rod, that makes up most guitar stands is 3/8", I figured that 1/4" ID foam would stretch, for a nice, snug fit. I was right. I did have to use a bit of silicone spray, to slip the foam over the stands metal rod. Here is what I ended up with:



Sorry, the topic for the guitar that will go on this stand, will have to wait! Hope this helps a few guys out!

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic man! Just what I needed. Your efforts have helped save at least one person a lot of time. Just ordered for my guitar stand that I've been using a rigid tubing on. It was too slick and my guitar slid off. >:-( Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! This is the stuff I was looking for. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to order the tubing in the thread above. The tubing was about $13. they wanted 45 to ship to AK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that didn’t work out for you! But at least you get to live in Alaska!! 👍

      Delete
    2. Sorry that didn’t work out for you! But at least you get to live in Alaska!! 👍

      Delete